Graduate Education FAQ | Saint Francis University
Skip navigation

Graduate Education FAQ

  • Saint Francis University offers a variety of masters degree specializations, a master of special education degree and post-baccalaureate certification programs. Below, you'll find the most commonly asked questions about the Graduate Education program. You can also request more information here.

  • Department Contacts

    PeppettiMrs. Melissa Peppetti
    Email Mrs. Peppetti  

  • How do I apply for the program?

    All applicants are responsible for submitting a complete application packet to the Graduate Education Office for consideration and admission to the Graduate Education program.  View the application for a list of requirements.

    Graduate Education Application

    Do I need a special education certificate to enroll in the Master of Special Education program?

    The Master of Special Education program is completely online. Candidates interested in this program must possess an Instructional I or Instructional II certification in special education (prek-8, 7-12 or prek-12).

    When are applications accepted for the upcoming semester?

    Students may apply at any time; applications are accepted and processed by the department year-round. A student may enroll in up to six credits while his/her application is being completed and processed.

    May I submit my own copies of transcripts with my application?

    No, only official transcripts sent directly from the outside institutions will be accepted.

    In order to apply to the Graduate Education program, must my Bachelor’s degree have been in education?

    No. However, you will not receive a teaching certificate at the completion of the Master of Education program. You can apply to the post-baccalaureate secondary education certification program.

    Will graduate courses I have taken at other institutions count toward my program requirements?

    With the approval of the Graduate Education department, students may transfer up to six hours of graduate credits from another college or university. Students must submit this request in writing and forward a course description and an official transcript from the respective college or university to the Education Department. Saint Francis University WILL NOT accept course transfers or substitutions that are of a workshop nature. Courses taken seven years prior to the request for transfer will not be considered. Credit for graduate work completed at other institutions will be given only for courses in which the student received a "B" grade or better.

    Will Saint Francis University Graduate Education courses count toward my Act 48 credits?

    Yes. At the student’s request and upon his/her successful completion of the course(s), the Saint Francis University Graduate Education department will report Act 48 credits to the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Student must complete a Request to Report Act 48 credits form and return to the office. 

    What costs are associated with the program?

    Read more about Graduate Tuition and Fees for each semester. 

    Is financial aid available to graduate students?

    For information regarding student loans,  visit the Financial Aid web page.

    Will completion of the Saint Francis University Master of Education program certify me to teach?

    No, the Saint Francis University degree programs and certification programs are separate programs. For instance, if you wish to enroll in the post-baccalaureate certification program to teach secondary education, you will be taking a combination of both undergraduate and graduate courses. Some courses are available at the graduate level and the credits may count towards a master's degree. See the Graduate Education link on the left menu. 

    I already hold a teaching certificate. Will my graduate education courses count toward my permanent certificate?

    Yes. Your school district will need to submit your request for Instructional II certification to PDE. You can obtain your official transcripts from the Registrar's Office at Saint Francis University. You can make your transcript request online. Keep in mind that you will also need 3 credits in Inclusion (EDUC560 Successful Inclusion for Educational Leaders), 3 credits in SAS (EDUC515 Curriculum Development and Management), and 3 years teaching experience to apply for your Instructional II certification.