SCHOOL OF HEALTH SCIENCES & EDUCATION
Connecting Theory to Practice
The Education Department provides the learning environment in which prospective teacher candidates develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values that will enable them to become reflective decision-makers. Through active participation, the department’s educational program emphasizes connections between theory and research-based practice. Offering programs in:
Discover Your Path
The Saint Francis Education Department provides opportunities for students to study the dynamic and complex field of education in the following majors:
- Early Childhood Education (Pre-K - Grade 4), B.S.
- Early Childhood Education (PreK-Grade 4)/Special Education (Pre-K - Grade 12), B.S.
- Special Education PreK-12, B.S.
Secondary Education Concentration programs are options for degree-seeking students majoring in the following areas:
- Biology 7-12, B.S., Secondary Education Concentration
- Chemistry 7-12, B.S., Secondary Education Concentration
- English 7-12, B.A., Secondary Education Concentration
- History, B.A., Social Studies 7-12/Secondary Education Concentration
- Mathematics 7-12, B.S., Secondary Education Concentration
- Spanish PK-12, B.A., Secondary Education Concentration
And four minors:
- Early Childhood/Reading Education Minor
- Middle Childhood/Secondary Education Minor
- Open Education Minor
- Special Education Minor
About the Education Department
The mission of the Education Department of Saint Francis University is to provide the undergraduate curriculum for pre-service and in-service educators that will develop and reinforce reflective practices. We will strive to instill in teachers the belief that teaching and learning comprise a holistic process that connects ideas and disciplines to each other and to the personal experiences, environments, and communities of students.
Why pursue your education degree at SFU?
The education degrees and concentrations offered provide an environment in which prospective early childhood, special education, and secondary teachers can develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values that will enable them to become reflective decision-makers.
- You will gain real teaching experience early in your studies to connect theory to practice.
- Small class size means individualized focus, attention, and support.
- Our experienced faculty collaborate with school personnel and pre-service teachers to accomplish the goals of the teacher preparation program.
- 98% of our recent graduates are employed or enrolled in graduate school.
- Interstate certification agreements allow graduates with PA certificates to qualify for licensure in 45 states.
The teacher preparation and certification programs offered at Saint Francis University at the undergraduate and graduate level are approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), 333 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA, 17126; (717)783-6788. PDE-approved preparation programs are designed to prepare and certify educators to teach or serve in the schools of the Commonwealth. www.education.pa.gov