International Students | Saint Francis University
Skip navigation

International Students

SFU welcomes students from all over the world to its campus in Loretto, Pennsylvania.  The campus offers small class sizes and state-of-the-art living and learning facilities in a beautiful, safe, and friendly setting.

    • International Slider Banner 2
  • A Home Away from Home

    Our international students come from far and wide and go on to become physicians, teachers, journalists, engineers, accountants, chemists, and so much more. We have a dedicated staff of international admissions professionals ready to help you find your place both here at Saint Francis and within our global community.

  • Application, Financial, and I-20 Processes

    International Admission Policies & Procedures

    We are so excited that you are interested in attending Saint Francis University.  In order to complete your application for admission, please review the following information on how to enroll at Saint Francis University as an International student.

    International Admission Requirements

    • International Students may submit either of the following applications:
    • Additional required documentation to complete the application process includes:
      • Secondary/High School Transcripts evaluated for US equivalency and notarized English translations;
        • Our recommendation for evaluation/translations services is SpanTran but any of the NACES member-institutions are acceptable.
        • If you attended University either in your home country or another country, please submit transcripts evaluated for US equivalency with notarized English translations.
      • SAT/ACT scores;
      • TOEFL/IELTS scores;
      • Copy of passport photo page.

    Once the items and documentation above have been submitted, the Office of Admissions will determine admissibility.  Following the admissions review, you will be notified of your acceptance status and provided an award letter showing your total financial aid award package from the University as well as the remaining cost of attendance.  See our Scholarships and Grants page for more information about our International Student Scholarships.

    International Financial Requirements

    Following your acceptance to the University, you will be contacted with information pertaining to your cost of attendance.  Prior to being issued your I-20 documents, you must provide documentation showing the capability of you/your sponsor to cover the remaining estimated cost of one academic year.

    Please complete the Affidavit of Financial Support and provide the Office of Admissions with official bank or investment statements for the last six months, or a Bank Certified Letter.  Requested documents should include the following details:

    • Must be submitted on bank letterhead;
    • Must list account holder name using English Alphabet;
    • Must include type of liquid account (Checking, Savings, Deposit, etc.);
    • Must include the current balance of the account (converted to US Dollars);
    • Must include date of issuance.

    Additionally, please note that documents origination must be less than two months old and translated to English.  All financial documents must be in the name of the person on your Affidavit of Financial Support.  If more than one person is sponsoring your education, each sponsor must complete a separate Affidavit and submit the appropriate financial documents accordingly.

    To receive an I-20, a student must complete the steps listed below. Once all information is received, Saint Francis University will issue the I-20.

    1. A student must be admitted to Saint Francis University (see International Admissions Requirements above).
    2. Submit the Saint Francis University Affidavit of Financial Support Form in addition to certified bank statements from parents or sponsor (see International Financial Requirements above).


    Health & Immunization Requirements

    International Health & Immunization Requirements

    Prior to your arrival on campus, your health information must be provided to the MyHealth@School student health center.  The requirements include the following:

    • Once admitted to the University, complete and submit your health and immunization forms about 2 weeks prior to arrival on campus. 
      • Forms can be found on the Student Health Portal under "My Forms."
      • Required immunizations include: 
        • Meningitis (ACYW) after 16th birthday;
        • Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (two doses);
        • Varicella (two doses);
        • Polio
        • Tetanus (within the last 10 years);
        • Hepatitis B (3 doses);
        • Tuberculosis screening (this can be done on campus);
          • If you have had the BCG vaccine, you will need a chest x-ray or blood work

    NOTE: Saint Francis University has a mandatory student health insurance policy.  All international students at the undergraduate and graduate level will be automatically enrolled in the student health insurance through SFU.  The cost will be applied to your student account.

    The American Educational System

    If you're considering attending Saint Francis University, you'll want to examine all your options carefully, and study all the terms and requirements. The following are resources we think might assist you in the transition process. Good luck.

    American Life


    • TOEFL - Everything from online practice tests, to information on how to register for a test in your home country.
    • IELTS
    • SAT
    • ACT
    • IB Exams
    Visa Information

    Getting your VISA to study in the U.S.A. takes time but can be a surprisingly easy procedure and well worth the effort. The number of student visas issued by the United States has grown significantly in the last year in many countries.

    Once you have been accepted in a U.S. program, you will complete the official paperwork that permits you to apply for a visa to enter and study in the U.S.A.  While the application process for a student or exchange visitor visa can be confusing, hundreds of thousands of students are able to meet the requirements for a visa each year.

    Visa Definitions

    The U.S.A. issues different types of visas to students.

    A full-time student would receive an F-1 or M-1 visa.

    Your spouse and children would receive F-2 or M-2 visas.

    An Exchange Visitor would receive a J-1 visa.

    Exchange Visitors come to the U.S.A. for consultation, training, research or teaching, or for an approved Au Pair or temporary work position.

    After a college, university, or English language school has accepted you for admission to full-time study, the school will send you a document called an I-20 form, which is the application for an F-1 visa.

    If you will be an Exchange Visitor, the organization or U.S. Government agency that is sponsoring you will send you a DS-2019 form, which is the application for a J-1 visa.

    Visa Information

    The Laptop Program

    Laptop Program

    All full-time undergraduate students are required to purchase a laptop through the Laptop Program, which grants students access to the most up-to-date academic software, Internet, email, and printing services. 

    Learn more about the Laptop Program