Office Hours: Monday: 10:00-11:00 Wednesday; 10:00-11:00 Friday: 10:00-11:00; Also when office door is open. Meeting times can also be arranged through email or voicemail.
Zovinka, Edward P. Real Chemistry Experiments: 40 Exciting STEAM Activities for
Kids. Rockridge Press, 2019 (ISBN 978-1-64152-684-5), available on Amazon.
Experiment featured on Science with Shields,
“https://www.wearecentralpa.com/wtaj-plus/science-with-shields/science-with-shields-episode-27-air-pressure/” April 2020
Iron” Experiment featured on Science with Shields, https://www.wearecentralpa.com/wtaj-plus/science-with-shields-episode-46-iron-cereal/ August 2020.
Clark, Rose A. and Zovinka, Edward P. A Kid’s Guide to the Periodic Table. Everything you need to Know about
the Elements. Rockridge Press, 2020 (ISBN 978-1-64611-689-8),
available on Amazon.
35. Bandstra, Joel Z., Spellman,
Charles J.; Krug, James P.*; Krupa, Rebekah C.*; Mosier, Dallas R.*; Weyant, Caleb J.*; Schulte, Jessica; Youmbi,
P.*; Strosnider, William H.J.; Zovinka,
Edward P. “Mass
Transport Limitations on the Rate of Aluminum Removal in Open Limestone
Channels for Treatment of Aluminum Dominated Mine Drainage, in prep.
Zoe M. Wright, Avanti M. Pandit, Michelle Karpinsky*, Brian D. Holt,
Stefanie A. Sydlik, Edward P. Zovinka Modified Bone Cement Supports Bioactive
Functional Graphenic Material Fillers without Loss of Mechanical Integrity, submitted to Advanced Healthcare Materials,
Michelle M. Karpinsky*, Anne M. Arnold,
Jaejung Lee, Genell Jasper*, Michael R. Bockstaller, Stefanie A. Sydlik, Edward
P. Zovinka Acid Mine Drainage Remediation: Aluminum Chelation Using Functional
Graphenic Materials, ACS Applied
Materials & Interfaces, 2020, 12, 29, 32642-32648 (Energy, Environmental, and Catalysis Applications)
MacLeod, K. C.; DiMucci, I; Zovinka, E.P.; McWilliams, S. F.; Mercado, B.Q.; Lancaster, K.M.; Holland,
P.L.; Masked Radicals: Iron Complexes
of Trityl, Benzophenone, and Phenylacetylene
Organometallics, 2019, 38, 21, 4224-4232. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.organomet.9b00534
Reports the 1st iron organometallic complex
with an elongated Fe–C bond, which is easily broken by neutral π-acceptor
ligands to generate the triphenylmethyl radical. The formally FeI
complexes are more consistent with an FeII center in which doubly
occupied frontier molecular orbitals are shared by the iron and π-acceptor
ligands, with the unpaired electrons residing on the metal. (Part of Sean
McWilliams 2020 Inorganic Young Investigator Award)
31. Clark, R.A.; Schorr, H.*;
Zovinka, E.P. “Fundraising to Keep the SFU Chemistry Club Active and Engaged”
in ACS Books Symposium Series "Building and
Maintaining Award-Winning ACS Student Members”, Mio, M.J. and Benvenuto, M.(eds.) Vol 3. ACS Symposium Series “Building
and Maintaining Award-Winning ACS Student Member Chapters Volume 3 Dec 14, 2018
Symposium Series, Vol. 1278, Chapter 8, pp 97–105
30. Clark, R.A.; Fry,
C.M.*, Mosier, D.R.*, Zovinka, E.P. “Using Community Service Activities to
Invigorate the SFU Chemistry Club” in ACS Books Symposium Series "Building and Maintaining Award-Winning ACS Student
Member Chapters”, Mio, M.J. and Benvenuto, M.(eds.)October 5, 2016 DOI 10.1021/bk-2016-1230.ch009.
ACS Symposium Series, Vol. 1230, Chapter 9, pp 95–108
29. Fry, C.M*;
Mosier, D.R.*; Zovinka, E.P. Saint Francis University Chemistry Club: Learning
to be Green The Nexus, (http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/greenchemistry/the-nexus-newsletter-blog.html) October 22, 2015
28. Clark, R.A.; Stock, A.E.*; Zovinka, E.P. "Metalloporphyrins as Oxidation Catalysts of Organic Substrates accepted for Comprehensive Organic Chemistry Experiments for the Laboratory Classroom (COCELC); Afonso, C., Ed.; Royal Society of Chemistry: Cambridge, March 2015.
27. Spellman Jr., C*; Carvajal, S.*; Weyant, C.J.*; Krug, J.P.*; Krupa, R.C.*; Wolfe, D.*; Li, Y.; Zovinka, E.P.; Rose, A.; Strosnider, W. Research, Teaching and Service with Open Limestone Channels and Undergraduates in the Allegheny Highlands Reclamation Matters, Spring 2015, 28-31.
26. Arnold, A.M.*; Kwak,D.J.*; Löfgren, L.E.*;. Walters, B.M.*; Wilt, A.L.*; Woldemeskel, S.A.*; Zovinka, E.P. Microwaving Metals: Inserting Metals into Porphyrin Ligands using Microwave Methods The Chemical Educator, 2014, 19, 296-298.
25. Horner* A. R., Clark; R.A. , LoRusso; S. M., and Zovinka E. P. "Measuring Potassium in Muscle Tissue Utilizing an Atomic Absorption Spectrometer Validation of an Adaptation for a Whole-body Potassium Counting Method" American Journal of Undergraduate Research, December 2012 (vol. 11, no. 3&4), pp.1-8.
24. Rosmus, T.*; Minor, J.*, Zovinka, E.P. “Science R.O.C.K.s at Saint Francis University and Soon will ROLL, InChemistry Apr/May 2012 pp. 19-23
23. Clark, R.A.; Stock, A.E.*; Zovinka, E.P. “Metalloporphyrins as Oxidation Catalysts: Moving Toward“Greener” Chemistry in the Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory” J. Chem. Educ., 2012, 89 (2), 271–275. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ed100609f
22. Stock, A.; Zovinka, E.P. “Microwaves: Green Machines for Green Chemistry?” J. Chem. Educ. 2010, 87(4), 350-352
= required field
Your email was sent successfully. Thank you for contacting me.
There was a problem sending your email. Try again later, or contact our webmaster.