In the fourteenth century, an elaborate pattern of heraldry, which is still recognized in sovereign countries, municipalities, societies, corporations, and families, was developed. During the Victorian era, interest in heraldry was revived and has since remained an important part of associations such as college fraternities.
In 1892, Albert P. Jacobs, Phi '73 (University of Michigan); Karl P. Harrington, Xi '82 (Wesleyan College); and George B. Penny, Chi '85 (Cornell University), acting as a Psi U heraldry committee, prepared and presented a report proposing the system of heraldry which was adopted at the Convention of 1894. This system is simple and uniform, yet follows the pattern of ancient heraldry quite well. It is obvious that these brothers had a thorough knowledge of the subject. Previous to the work done by this committee, the badge and colors were the only uniform symbolism of the Fraternity.
Our fraternity is a select group sharing similar ideals, hopes, and purposes, bonded together by deep friendship and mutual understanding. Such a bond provides the foundation which enables the college student to become a poised and self-confident adult equipped with a keener mind, a greater appreciation, and broader sympathies.
This bond is further fortified by a group of true and understanding friends who will stand by him throughout life. The outward manifestation of the philosophical underpinnings of Psi Upsilon are the ways in which we treat ourselves, each other, and those around us.