Community Gathers to Dedicate Immaculate Conception Chapel
The University community recently gathered to dedicate the newly restored Immaculate Conception chapel. Fittingly, the community joined together on December 8, which is also the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. In the words of Father Malachi Van Tassell, University President, "We have much to be thankful for and there are so many reasons to lift up our hearts in praise as we gather here in his chapel which is dedicated to her patronage."
The original chapel of Mary Immaculate was destroyed by fire in 1942. A slow rebuilding process ensued after, moving from a temporary chapel to the Immaculate Conception Chapel dedicated in 1957. Many of the original concepts remained unfinished and have only recently been made possible through generous gifts shared through the 175th Anniversary Campaign.
The community gathered in prayer to thank God for the generosities provided over the years and the many people who spent countless hours contributing to the chapel restoration. Gratitude was offered to the artists whose contributions can be seen in the design of the space and the mosaics that adorn the walls as well as the dedicated trades workers who spent countless hours rebuilding God's house with care and attention.
The event also served as an opportunity for the community to give thanks to God for continuous blessings as it closes its 175th anniversary of delivering high-quality, values-based education.