Skip navigation

Student Complaint Resolution

  • Saint Francis University participates in Federal student aid programs that are authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. Participating institutions must be legally authorized to operate with the state in which it is located. Title 34 CFR §600.9 requires states to have a "process to review and appropriately act on complaints concerning the institution including enforcing applicable State laws." Title 34 CFR §668.43(b)requires that institutions:

    "make available for review to any enrolled or prospective student upon request, a copy of the documents describing the institution's accreditation and its State, Federal, or tribal approval or licensing. The institution must also provide its students or prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and with its State approval or licensing entity and any other relevant State official or agency that would appropriately handle a student's complaint."

    To comply with this regulation, Saint Francis University provides the following information to our prospective and current students.

    Saint Francis University makes every effort to resolve student complaints internally, using policies and procedures outlined in the current University Catalog or Student Handbook. It is expected that students will fully utilize any and all of such administrative procedures to address concerns and/or complaints in as timely a manner as possible. For procedures regarding:

    In the unlikely event that an issue cannot be resolved by the University, students may file a complaint with their respective State Licensing Authority. For residential students taking courses on-campus, the Pennsylvania Department of Education - Postsecondary and Adult Education would be the applicable agency. For online students, the state agency would generally correspond with the student's state of residence. These agencies should be contacted only after the student has registered a complaint with the University and has not received a response to the request for resolution. Contact information for all fifty states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. Territories is set forth below.

    Unresolved complaints may also be filed with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the University's regional accrediting agency, once all other avenues have been exhausted. The link above provides information on its complaint policies and procedures.

    Middle States Commission on Higher Education
    3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor West, Philadelphia, PA 19104
    Telephone: (267) 284-5000
    E-mail: Spanish: españ
    General Link:


    Student Complaint Information by State and Agency


    Alabama Commission on Higher Education
    Office of Institutional Effectiveness and Planning

    PO Box 302000, Montgomery, AL 36130-2000

    Telephone: (334) 242-1998

    Fax: (334) 242-0268

    General Link:

    Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education
    Office of Private School Licensing Division


    Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education

    PO Box 110505, Juneau, AK 99811-0505

    Telephone: (907) 465-6741


    General Link:


    Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education

    1400 West Washington, Room 260, Phoenix, AZ 85007

    Telephone: (602) 542-5709

    Fax: (602) 542-1253 


    Arkansas Department of Higher Education

    114 East Capitol, Little Rock, AR 72201

    Telephone: (501) 372-2000


    Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board certification does not constitute an endorsement of any institution or program. Such certification merely indicates that certain criteria have been met as required under the rules and regulations implementing institutional and program certification as defined in Arkansas Code §6-61-301.


    Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education

    PO Box 980818, West Sacramento, CA 95798-0818

    Telephone: (916) 431-9659

    Fax: (916) 263-1895



    Colorado Department of Higher Education

    1560 Broadway, Suite 1600, Denver, CO 80202

    Telephone: (303) 866-2723

    Fax: (303) 866-4266


    Office of Financial and Academic Affairs for Higher Education

    61 Woodland Street, Hartford, CT 06105-2326

    Telephone: (860) 947-1822


    Delaware Department of Education

    Teacher and Administrator Quality

    John W. Collette Resource Center

    35 Commerce Way, Dover, DE 19904

    Telephone: (302) 857-3388


    The Delaware Department of Education will investigate complaints. Such complaints must be in writing and verified by the signature of the person making the complaint. Oral, anonymous or unsigned complaints will not be investigated. Until the web site is functional, please write or call for more information.


    Office of the State Superintendent of Education

    Education Licensure Commission

    810 First Street, NE, 9th Floor, Washington, DC 20002

    Telephone: (202) 727-6436

    Fax: (202) 727-2834


    Commission for Independent Education

    Florida Department of Education

    325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 1414, Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400

    Telephone: (850) 245-0505

    Fax: (850) 245-3238



    Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission

    2082 East Exchange Place, Suite 220, Tucker, GA 30084-5305

    Telephone: 770) 414-3300

    Fax: (770) 414-3309


    Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs

    Office of Consumer Protection

    Leiopapa A Kamehameha Building

    235 South Beretania Street, Suite 801, Honolulu, HI 96813

    Telephone: (808) 587-3222


    Idaho State Board of Education

    State Coordinator for Private Colleges and Proprietary Schools

    PO Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0037

    Telephone: (208) 332-1587



    Illinois Board of Higher Education

    431 East Adams, 2nd Floor, Springfield, IL 62701-1414

    Telephone: (217) 782-2551

    Fax: (217) 782-8548


    Institutional Complaint Hotline: (217) 557-7359

    Students seeking to register a complaint about an institution are required to submit the complaint in writing. Complaint processing as relates to maintenance of institutional approvals is described in 23 Illinois Administrative Rules Sections 1030.70 and 1030.80.


    Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education

    Indiana Commission for Higher Education, ATTN: Complaints
    101 West Ohio Street, Suite 550, Indianapolis, Indiana46204-1984

    Telephone: (317) 464-4400 ext. 0



    Iowa College Student Aid Commission

    603 E. 12th Street, FL 5th, Des Moines,IA 50319

    Telephone: (515) 725-3400

    Fax: (515) 725-3401


    Kansas Board of Regents

    1000 SW Jackson, Suite 520, Topeka, KS 66612-1368

    Telephone: (785) 296-4917

    Fax: (785) 296-7052


    Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education

    Director of Postsecondary Licensing

    1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 320, Frankfort, KY 40601

    Telephone: (502) 573-1555

    Fax: (502) 573-1535



    Louisiana Board of Regents

    PO Box 3677, Baton Rouge, LA 70821-3677

    Telephone: (225) 342-4253

    Fax: (225) 342-9318

    For academic degree-granting institutions, Louisiana relies onthe Consumer Affairs Division of the Attorney General's Office at(225) 326-6200.


    Maine Department of Education, Office of Higher Education Services
    23 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0023
    Telephone: (207) 624-6600
    Fax: (207) 624-6700

    General Link:

    Complaints shall be addressed in writing with specific facts andallegations and signed by the complainant. The school shall be notified of any complaints which are to be investigated.

    Maine Attorney General
    Consumer Protection Division
    6 State House Station, Agusta, ME 04333


    Saint Francis University's MHS, MMS, and MHRM distance education programs are registered with:

    Maryland Higher Education Commission
    6 North Liberty Street, 10th Floor
    Baltimore, MD 21201
    Fax: (410) 332-0270
    Telephone: (410) 260-4500

    Individuals who wish to submit a complaint may use the following contact information:
    Maryland Attorney General
    Consumer Protection Division
    200 St. Paul Street, Baltimore, MD 21202
    Telephone: (410) 528-8662 or toll free (888) 743-0823
    Please see PDF at:

    More information:


    Massachusetts Department of Higher Education

    Office of the General Counsel

    One Ashburton Place, Room 1401, Boston, MA 02108

    Telephone: (617) 994-6950

    Fax: (617) 727-0955


    Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

    Bureau of Commercial Services, Licensing Division
    Proprietary School Unit, PO Box 30714, Lansing, Michigan 48909
    Fax: (517) 373-3085


    Minnesota Office of Higher Education

    Registration & Licensing
    1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN 55108
    Telephone: (651) 259-3975 or toll free (800) 657-3866



    Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation

    3825 Ridgewood Road, Jackson, MS 39211-6453

    Telephone: (601) 432-6372

    Fax: (601) 432-6225


    Missouri Department of Higher Education

    205 Jefferson Street, PO Box 1469, Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469

    Telephone: (573) 751-2361

    Fax: (573) 751-6635



    Montana University System, Montana Board of Regents

    Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education

    2500 Broadway Street, PO Box 203201, Helena, MT 59620-3201

    Telephone: (406) 444-6570


    Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education

    PO Box 95005, Lincoln, NE 68509-5005

    The policies regarding student complaints are listed on our website with a notation that they are not final. The Coordinating Commission for Post secondary Education (CCPE) intends to have a section on the website that walks students through the process; in the meanwhile, please call our office at (402) 471-0030. Please note that institutions offering courses or programs that are exclusively online are not required to seek authorization from CCPE. If students have complaints about such institutions, we refer them to the home state of the institution or the Nebraska Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division at:


    Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education

    3663 East Sunset Road, Suite 202, Las Vegas, NV 89120

    Telephone: (702) 486-7330

    Fax: (702) 486-7340


    Department of Education, Division of Higher Education,

    Higher Education Commission

    101 Pleasant Street, Concord, NH 03301-3493

    Telephone: (603) 271-0256


    New Jersey Secretary of Higher Education

    20 West State Street, 4th Floor, PO Box 542, Trenton,NJ 08625-0542

    Telephone: (609) 292-4310


    New Mexico Higher Education Department

    2048 Galisteo Street, Santa Fe, NM 87505-2100

    Telephone: (505) 476-8400

    Fax: (505) 476-8453


    Office of College and University Evaluation

    New York State Education Department

    5 North Mezzanine, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234

    Telephone: (518) 474-3852


    Post-Secondary Education Complaints

    c/o Assistant Director of Licensure and Workforce Studies

    University of North Carolina General Administration

    910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

    Telephone: (919) 962-4558



    North Dakota University System

    Tanya Spilovoy, D. Ed.
    Director of Distance Education and State Authorization
    1815 Schafer St., Ste. 202
    Bismarck, ND 58501-1217


    Ohio Board of Regents

    30 East Broad Street, 36th Floor, Columbus, OH43215-3414

    Telephone: (614) 387-1215


    Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education

    Academic Affairs Office

    655 Research Parkway, Suite 200, Oklahoma City, OK 73104

    Telephone: (405) 225-9100


    Office of Degree Authorization

    1500 Valley River Drive, Suite 100, Eugene, OR 97401

    Telephone: (541) 687-7478

    General Link:


    Division of Higher & Career Education
    Pennsylvania Department of Education-Postsecondary and Adult Education
    333 Market Street, 12th Fl., Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333
    Telephone: (717) 783-8228

    Fax: (717) 722-3622


    Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education

    Shepard Building, 80 Washington Street, Providence, RI 02903

    Telephone: (401) 456-6000


    Nonpublic Institution Licensing
    SC Commission on Higher Education

    1122 Lady Street, Suite 300 Columbia, SC 29201

    Telephone: (803) 737-2260

    Fax: (803) 737-2297



    Office of Attorney General, Division of Consumer Protection

    1302 E Hwy 14, Suite 3, Pierre, SD 57501-8053

    Telephone: (605) 773-4400

    Fax: (605) 773-7163


    Tennessee Higher Education Commission

    Division of Postsecondary School Authorization

    Parkway Towers, Suite 1900, 404 James Robertson Parkway

    Nashville, TN 37243-0830

    Telephone: (615) 741-5293

    Fax: (615) 532-8845


    Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

    Academic Affairs and Research

    PO Box 12788, Austin, TX 78711-2788

    Telephone: (512) 427-6101

    Forms and a description of the complaint procedure:

    Rules governing student complaints -- Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code, Sections 1.110-1.120:$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=5&ti=19&pt=1&ch=1&sch=E&rl=Y


    Utah Division of Consumer Protection

    160 East 300 South, 2nd Floor, PO Box 146704

    Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6704

    Telephone: (801) 530-6601

    Fax: (801) 530-6001


    Vermont State Board of Education

    120 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05620-2501

    Telephone: (802) 828-3135


    Private and Out-of-State Postsecondary Education

    State Council of Higher Education for Virginia

    101 N. 14th Street, 10th Floor, James Monroe Bldg

    Richmond, VA 23219

    Telephone: (804) 225-2600

    Fax: (804) 225-2604


    Washington Student Achievement Council

    PO Box 43430, Olympia, WA 98504-3430

    Telephone: (360) 753-7866


    West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission

    1018 Kanawha Blvd East, Suite 700

    Charleston, WV 25301-2800

    Telephone: (304) 558-2101

    Fax: (304) 558-5719


    Wisconsin Educational Approval Board

    30 W. Mifflin Street, 9th Floor, PO Box 8696, Madison, WI 53708-8696

    Telephone: (608) 266-1996

    Fax: (608) 264-8477


    Wyoming Department of Education

    2300 Capitol Avenue, Hathaway Bldg, 2nd Floor

    Cheyenne, WY 82002-0050

    Telephone: (307) 777-6210

    If the complaint involves an issue relative to authorization, the Wyoming Department of Education contacts the institution to ensure that the institution is compliant with Wyoming State law. For complaints not related to authorization, the complainant is encouraged to try to resolve the issue through their institution's formal grievance procedures. Depending on the nature of the complaint, the complainant may also be referred to the Consumer Protection Division of the Wyoming Attorney General's Office. Please contact the Wyoming Department of Education.



    Department of Protection and Advocacy

    Attn: Dr. L Tagoilelagi

    Executive Office Building, Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799

    Tel: (684) 633-2441

    Fax: (684) 633-7286


    No information available


    Office of the Attorney General

    287 West O'Brien Drive,

    Hagåtña, GUAM 96910

    Telephone: (671) 475-3324, ext. 171

    Fax: (671) 472-2493


    Attorney General



    State Higher Education Agency, Northern Marianas College

    Attn: Dr. Carmen Fernandez, President

    POB 501250, Saipan MP 96950-1250

    Tel: (670) 234-5498 Ext. 1000

    Fax: (670) 234-1270


    Office of Attorney General

    Edward T Buckingham

    Juan A Sablan Memorial Bldg, Capital Hill,

    Caller Box 10007, Saipan, MP 96950


    No information available


    Puerto Rico Council on Education

    PO Box 19900, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00910-1900
    Telephone: (787) 724-7100

    Fax: (787) 725-2150


    Government of the United States Virgin Islands

    Department of Education, Office of the Commissioner

    1834 Kongens Gade, St. Thomas, VI 00802

    Telephone: (340) 776-0675

    Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs

    Attn: Consumer Affairs

    Golden Rock Shopping Center,

    3000 Estate Golden Rock, Suite 9, St Croix, VI 00820

    Telephone: (340) 713-2754